Monday, June 20, 2011

Dominican Oregano & Vanilla Extract

Dare to tell the difference! Nothing beats my passion for Oregano and Vanilla Extract imported, even at times smuggled from the island of the Dominican Republic.  I remember watching "mami" mashing fresh garlic cloves,with salt, a bit of oil and crushing dry oregano leaves, leaves that my Aunt "Tety" sent back from my the island with family and friends that visited.  I tried hard to hold on to my culture which I learned about mostly through oral tradition, oral history, and history books. 

The tropically sun dried oregano leaves usually made their way to this side of the globe in the middle of souvenirs and clothing wrapped in a wrinkled plastic bag with my mother's name:"Reyna," written on masking tape in blue ink; the same masking tape that sealed the bag of oregano tight enough to avoid spillage or its extra pungent fragrant from overbearing anything else you brought back from the Island. Yes it was just that serious!
What have I learned: THERE IS TRULY A HUGE DIFFERENCE! 

You can purchase oregano from the Dominican Republic or other Caribbean islands on line or at most major city bodegas. In NYC just ask any Latino store or supermarket if they carry oregano from the Dominican Republic.  It usually comes in either a glass jar or a plastic bag. I infuse Oregano from the Dominican Republic in ALL of my cooking! If you can't get Dominican oregano, then use regular oregano. Both my marinade and dry rub recipes call for my DR oregano. Yummy!

Just like” mami” crushed the oregano and garlic in the mill every evening to prepare for us what today is known as ORGANIC marinade, we also always had both dark and white pure vanilla extract that made its way to the US via family and friends that frequented the native island of my mother's. We added DR vanilla to all of our deserts, cakes, puddings, cookies, all pastries! It is nothing to take lightly! I will be sharing all several desert recipes many of which call for Dominican Pure Vanilla Extract. If you can't purchase it just use real vanilla in my recipes and not flavor.

I have always used music and food to share my Latino Caribbean roots with my fellow Americans of all backgrounds.  I began infusing my base seasoning in various recipes from all over the world! What did I learn: It always came out fabulous and even better than what I remembered. I hope I manifest my passion for cooking and that I share how Latino flavor can be tweaked in your everyday eating! Please share Caribbean, Latino inspired fusion recipes on my blog.

I will also assist with huge event planning. Just come to the groups so we can brainstorm and make the party fancy, delicious, and semi-homemade! I promise I will have people talking about your event from the decor to the appetizers through the desserts! Did I mention that my group will also include amazing fancy-
like cocktails!

2 comments:

  1. There's no comparing Dominican oregano or vanilla to McCormicks' or any other crappy brand. The oregano smells and tastes more bold than any other and the Vainilla Dominicana is the only one I use to make Morir Sonandos. : )

    Barbara, Dominican in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Barbara. I totally agree! Lets let the world know about DR oregano and Vanilla! Make it a great day!

    ReplyDelete